Tuesday, August 12, 2008

JUST CLOSE YOUR EYES FOR A SECOND AND IT WILL BE OK!

The first time I did Hair I struggled with the nude scene. Do I get naked? Do I just go down to my undies? Who is in the audience tonight? Where are they sitting? Will they see my naked body? Oy! So every night before and during the first act I struggled whether or not I should take of all my close or leave on certain items.

When I found out that we were doing Hair for a second time I told myself that I am going to be consistant every performance. Will I strip down all the way or will I leave on my undies. I told myself that I was going to decide one way or the other before the show opened.

I decided. IT'S ALL OR NOTHING! I stripped down every night. I didn't care who was there and where they were sitting. Trust me. My decision was an awesome on for me. At the moment in the show when we come out from under the tarp and there I stood in all my glory it was very liberating. If I can get naked onstage in front of people then I can do anything if I put my mind to it. It was a very positive experience for me.

When my friends, family, co-workers heard that I was doing Hair for the 3rd time the first thing they asked if I was going to get nude. My reply was "yes" I did it last time, why would I change now. Their replies were: " I can't come to see you nude". I don't know if I would be comfortable to see a bunch of nude people on stage" yada yada yada.

My response is always the same. The show is SO much more then me naked on stage. The show is So much more than seeing other people on stage. You are missing a powerful peace of theatre.

So to the rest of the Tribe, make a decision that works best for you.

No comments: